Do you know that 90% of the brain development in children occurs by the age of 5? From the time of birth until the baby turns 3, the brain undergoes development at an incredible speed, producing over a million neural connections every second.
Brain development in children is influenced by several factors that include a child’s relationships, the environment in which he is brought up, experiences and so on. You can help your child’s development with fun brain-building activities and best educational toys for toddlers.
A child spends most of his time playing and educational toys can work as a catalyst to make this playtime more meaningful. Your child’s first learning experiences can start right from home and you can do this by choosing the right type of educational toys.
Companies like Fisher-Price, Step2, Bright Starts and VTech offer a wide range of educational toys that are age specific, and they help in creating an environment that is conducive to learning new skills.
Below are some of the benefits of buying the best educational toys for toddlers:
- Toys like building blocks foster a child’s imagination and he learns problem solving skills
- Puzzle games and marble runs help a child learn about different letters, numbers, shapes, colors, and words. They may also introduce your child to more complex subjects like mathematics, science and writing
- Educational toys help your child to use multiple senses and develop the skills of observation, decision making, and analyzing
- Developing new skills helps your child feel more confident, hence they are great for preschoolers
- Educational toys are engaging and fun to play. Your child will be busy for hours while you get some time to finish your tasks
What to look for in the best educational toys for toddlers
It’s great that you have decided to buy an educational toy for your little one but before you make your choice, here are a few things you must consider:
- Does the toy influence the senses of your child, and how many? Choose a toy that has sounds, lights, colors and movements to stimulate all their senses
- What’s the experience like? Does it provide a challenge without angering/ frustrating your child?
- Does it offer a rewarding experience?
- Does the toy help your child express themself, make choices and be more imaginative?
- Are there multiple ways to play with the toy so that your child enjoys a lot of variety? Is it open-ended and capable of adapting to your child’s style?
- Can the toy be used in various ways and various positions to be more enjoyable?
- Does the toy help your child develop social skills? Is there a possibility to play with it with other children?
- Does it come with controls for adjusting volume, speed and difficulty levels?
- Are the activities suitable for your baby’s age? Will they be able to play with the toy when they get a little older?
- Is the toy made of durable material? Is it safe for your child?
With the best educational toys for toddlers you can make play times more fun and engaging. It also gives you the opportunity to get involved, relax and play with your child.
However, choosing the right educational toy is not as easy because the market has a plethora of options and each one looks alluring.
To take the guess work out of your decision making we have listed some of the best educational toys for toddlers.
VTech Sit-to-Stand Learning Walker
This Sit-to-Stand Learning Walker by VTech is the perfect educational to help your baby in the transition from a crawler to a walker. The activity panel offers hours of fun for the baby who loves to sit and play.
There are so many interesting things to try and discover that your little one will not get bored of this toy any time soon.
The Sit-to-Stand Learning Walker comes with five piano keys that produce melodious music; three fun shape sorters to help your child recognize shapes; three light-up buttons; spinning gears; and a cute telephone handset.
Your baby has a lot of things to enjoy and this will keep them busy for more than an hour so you get some time to relax or finish your household tasks.
This fun educational toy helps your baby learn new things and develop motor skills. Your baby will be able to identify colors, animals, shapes, and respond to music and light.
- 70 enjoyable sing-along songs
- Removable activity panel
- Telephone handset for role play
- Interactive learning walker
- Recommended age is 9 months to 3 years
- There are numerous fun activities for your baby so they will not easily get bored so. If they have played a game several times, they can try something else
- It helps the baby learn to identify colors, shapes, animals, and other things while they enjoy playtime
- The songs, sound effects and music make the experience more enjoyable
- There are two modes of play—learning mode and music mode. In the learning mode, the baby will hear the names of animals, colors, and shapes. They will also hear phrases. In the music mode, they will listen to upbeat music when they press a button
There are no brakes so it’s a little risky if your baby tries to grab the handle to get up and walk. It might move forward causing your little one to fall.
Overall, the VTech Sit-to-Stand Learning Walker is a fun and interesting educational toy that can be enjoyed by a crawler and also keep them engaged when they start taking their first baby steps. It helps develop motor, sensory, and problem-solving skills in the little ones.
Fisher-Price Little People Surprise & Sounds Home
Your little one sees you go about the house doing all the daily chores and they want to be just like you. The Fisher-Price Little People Surprise & Sounds Home grants their wish and gives them the opportunity to role play. This is a fun dollhouse that comes with little people as family members.
The front door of the house opens and closes. The alarm rings when it’s time to wake up and it flips the doll out of the bed. The crazy sounds will entertain your child and you will love to see their happy face!
This wonderful educational toy gives your child their own little world where they can explore and discover new things. They can open the fridge as many times as they like to see what is inside.
The toilet flushes and makes silly sounds instructing them to “wash hands” before having breakfast. It comes with a music player which can be activated to listen to upbeat music and enjoy some dance moves.
There are so many fun activities to enjoy that your child will be engaged for hours and still love to play with it every day. They learn about good habits as they play, identify colors, shapes, and learn to do all those things that mommy does at home.
- Perfect educational toy for homeschooling
- There are more than 50 sounds, songs and phrases
- Lots of fun activities to keep your child entertained
- Great use of lights, colors and sound
- The dollhouse does not become useless when your child grows old because they will be able to use it for role play and still have lots of fun
- It helps the child develop motor, sensory, and problem-solving skills and pretend play
- As your child grows up, they will use the toy to act out stories as they see things in the house
- The dollhouse can be folded and stored away when not in use
- It is easy to assemble
- It encourages children to play together
Replacement not available for the Little People
The Fisher-Price Little People Surprise & Sounds Home is a great toy for kids 1 year and above. It helps them develop several skills, and, at the same time, enjoy hours of playtime without getting bored.
Fisher-Price Kick and Play Piano Gym
The pre-crawlers don’t have to feel bored if they are on their back; they can still have a lot of fun and enjoy several activities with the Fisher-Price Kick and Play Piano Gym. This interactive gym encourages your baby to stretch out and kick more; every time the baby kicks, the piano plays a lovely tune and this encourages the baby to kick even more.
There are attractive moveable toys (elephant clackers, hippo teether, rollerball frog and more) dangling overhead to stimulate the baby to try to grasp them.
The gym can be used in four different ways to play: tummy time; Lay and play; sit and play; and take along. The different activities and music entertain the baby and keep them happy while you finish your work.
When your baby learns to sit, you can remove the arch and change the mode. Your baby will be able to sit up and play with the piano.
You can remove the piano and take the gym with you wherever you go. It comes with short and long play modes, along with power and volume controls to give your child a quiet playtime.
- Made from polyester
- Four different modes to play
- Five fun and busy activity toys
- Short or long play music
- Your baby makes new discoveries as they play with the toys
- It helps in strengthening your baby’s developmental skills
- It enhances gross motor skills in your child
- Bright colors, lights and lovely music stimulate your baby’s senses
- It helps your baby understand action-reaction basics
- Your baby learns to kick harder to get a rewarding response from the piano
- There are four different modes of play so it does not become useless when your baby gets a little older
- The gym can be folded and kept in a travel bag to take it with your wherever you go
- The paint comes off very fast
- The movable toys are lightly attached and they can easily come off
This is a well-made gym to keep your little champ or princess entertained for a long time. The toys are fun to play with and different modes of play mean you can use the toys in several ways.
Overall, we think this is a good buy for a baby!
Step2 Easel For Two with Bonus Magnetic Letters/Numbers
This fun easel comes with two sides: a magnetic board and a chalkboard. It can be used by two children together so it enhances social skills. There are 77 foam magnetic letters and numbers that easily stick on the board.
It helps the child identify alphabet letters, numbers and also create words using the letters.
The chalkboard is also fun for the children as they can draw, paint and have lots of fun. It can be easily cleaned with a baby wipe or wet cloth. There’s a storage area to hold art supplies like paint, chalk, brushes and so on.
This is a great multifunctional toy for preschoolers to help them learn their ABCs, 123s and much more.
- 2-sided easel
- 1 chalkboard and 1 magnetic board
- 77 foam magnetic letters, numbers, and signs
- Storage area to hold art supplies
- Recommended age—36 months to 8 years
- The easel is sturdy and durable
- It requires low maintenance. The chalkboard can be wiped clean with a wet cloth
- It can be set up with ease, requiring minimal adult involvement
- There’s a deep tray to store art supplies and it can be accessed by both sides
- Can be used solo or with a playmate so it helps your child learn social skills
- It helps your child with early learning skills
- It can be folded and stored when not in use
None to mention
The Step2 Easel For Two is a great investment you will make for your child because they will be able to play with it for a long time. It can be played in various ways and along with older siblings or friends, so it promises hours of fun and engagement.
Bright Starts Around We Go 3-in-1 Activity Center Zippity Zoo
This amazing toy by Bright Starts comes with an activity station plus a walker that rotates around the activity center. As the child goes around, they can access and enjoy the different playthings in the activity center.
If they are bored playing with the same thing, they just needs to go to the other side and discover a variety of other things to play with.
There are more than 15 activities to explore and enjoy, including the piano station with 3 different play modes, a flip book to play lovely melodies and silly sounds. The walker helps you baby take their first steps while enjoying the various activities, instead of being stuck in a corner like a traditional walker.
- 360° rotating walker
- Over 15 activities to enjoy
- Great sound to entertain baby
- Variety of activities
- Sturdy and strong
- Hours of fun
- It is better and safer than a traditional walker as your baby has lots to do in the activity center as they take their tiny first steps
- There’s a variety so if your baby loses interest in one section they can go to another one
- It helps your child develop motor and sensory skills
- The walker seat can be removed so it acts like an activity table when the baby grows older
Instructions are strictly pictures, no text
This is a fun toy that both baby and the parents love because it offers hours of fun and engagement. Your baby will enjoy walking around the activity table and trying all the fun activities, while you will enjoy watching them take steps.
The best educational toys for toddlers should not only be fun and pleasing for your child, but also help you spend time with them in a more engaging manner. Learning the basics can be fun with these toys as you follow, direct and supervise your child’s growth and development.
As they enjoy playtime to the fullest, they develop essential skills like problem solving, sensory skills, learning skills and so on. It should help your child identify alphabet letters, numbers, colors, shapes and so on. The use of bright colors, sound and light can make his play time more intriguing.
The market is so full of educational toys that it can be a tough choice to pick one for your child. We suggest that you look into safety factors, variety of play modes available, and types of engagement before making your decision.
If you have older kids at home, you can look for something that can allow your children to play together and thus promote social skills. Make sure that the toy is suitable for your child’s age and they should be able to play with it as they grow older.